Sunday 9 June 2013

Depressed

Been a bit quiet on the blog front recently, not that we have been doing nothing, more that there has been nothing worth writing about!

We had the half term holiday, which meant more kids, less horses, and of course the obligatory wet weather.

I tried to pick up where I left off with the horses; the gelding just coming back into work and the mare working on going correctly.

However all is not going to plan.

Due to the very lush grass, both horses feet have grown stupidly quickly and they look rather desperate for new shoes. The mare is not moving correctly in front, and my husband thinks it is due to having unbalanced feet.

This means that I cannot take her to the riding club training evening this week, and although I considered taking my second string (the gelding) a quick lunge soon stopped that thought in it's tracks! The grass has another effect on the gelding, every year is the same. He seems to forget he is a 13 year old 'ex' racehorse, and instead seems to think he is, in fact a half broken yearling.

There is no way I am taking him to the riding club this week, as it may be the last thing I ever do!

So I am miserable. I am cross at myself for not going with my gut instinct of thinking the mare wasn't quite right last week, I just told myself she was being fat and lazy due to the grass.

So, I am waiting for the Farrier to get back to me, then she will have a few days off to let everything settle (which coincides with my weekend away) and in the meantime I will try to 're-break' the gelding and try to catch up with the housework. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment